Saturday, August 25, 2012

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to a potluck and playing board games with friends.  For the potluck, I wanted to make an Asian inspired dessert. The Chinese Egg Custard Tarts crossed my mind but I decided not to make it.  Another time, for a better occasion or for my consumption. :D  After looking at a variety of recipes, I decided on Banana Lumpias or Turons.  Researching the dessert online, I learned that it is a popular Filipino street food. It is made out of thin banana slices, with a slice of jackfruit, wrapped in a spring roll.  The lumpias can also be filled with sweet potato, mango, cheddar cheese, and coconut.
This was the recipe that I used for these simple Banana Lumpias:
http://cafemunchkin.com/2009/04/23/teeny-tiny-turon-banana-spring-rolls/

Slight modification to recipe: Oven backed the lumpias instead of frying.  Set oven temperature to 375 degrees and leave lumpias in for about 15-20 minutes.

After I took them out of the oven
Finished product: Sprinkled with powdered sugar. You can also dust them with brown sugar.

This wasn't a bad dish.  Next time I'll add more fillings..  You can also fill it Nutella.  Or drizzle with chocolate, with Vanilla ice cream... Yummm. :P
Also if I'm ever back at home, I want to try jackfruit.  Curious on how it tastes. I'm currently not living in the Bay Area, which has an abundance of Asian stores and varieties of fruit, so it was hard for me to find jackfruit here in my college town in Northern-ist Cali.  The only problem would be that if I bought one, I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of the fruit... They are pretty big... I was amazed the first time I saw them... But it's too much for 20 Banana Lumpias...  But I know now what jackfruit could be used for other than putting a confused look on my face.  
 
This concludes my first recipe blog for this site. :] Stick around for more! There will be some restaurant reviews in the upcoming days. :D






No comments:

Post a Comment