Friday, October 5, 2012

Samovar European Deli & Catering: European Food Delights

During summer, while I was at home I got the chance to stop by at Samovar European Deli and Catering in Mountain View.  I would always drive by it since it's Costco, Best Buy, REI, and Bed Bath & Beyond.  As I was driving with my mother to one of the stores, we both decided that we should stop in and take a look.  I figured that I could something back for my Russian bf. :]

Going into the store, we were greeted by the owners, a lovely Russian couple. We looked around the store for a few minutes until one of the owners asked if we needed any help. I told him that this was our first time in the store and I wanted to bring something back for my bf and I.  He took his time to help and guide us through the aisles, which was nice because some of the products was in Russian and I had alot of questions to ask.  My plan was to find the foods that my bf had introduced me too.  From the freezer aisle, I got some perogies, and in the desserts, it bought halva.

This little market not only sells groceries, but they are also part book store and restaurant.  Next time I come back in the area, I want to try having lunch there.  If you're in in the Mountain View Costco shopping center area and want to try European food, I recommend going here! The owners are super friendly.

Now for the food reviews...

1) Marble Sesame Halva
Halva is a Eastern Mediterranean dessert.
This was good! It was better than the previous halva tha I had, which was nut-based.  I thought that one was too dry and was bitter for me.  The marble sesame halva tasted alot better since it was sweeter.
We quickly ate this up...:D

2) Potato and Fried Onion Perogies 
Perogies are like Italian raviolis.  They are Eastern European dumplings that can be baked or fried in butter with onions, traditionally stuffed with potato fillings, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit.  The kind that I got was the frozen ones where all I had to do was boil them.
One night for dinner I boiled some perogies.  I added some chopped up pork and tomatoes, with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and spices. Simple and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment